How can I start House Sitting?
How can you start House Sitting - and live rent free world wide?
First things first, if you've stumbled across this page because you want to 'live rent free world wide' and have no idea what House Sitting entails, please feel free to check out this post first: What is House Sitting.
Essentially though, House Sitting is like baby sitting but for houses and pets, not babies.
Okay, so you know what House Sitting is, but why should you do it? Maybe, free accommodation world wide isn't enough for you, if so you should check out this post: 7 Reasons you Should House Sit
So at this point you should know what House Sitting is, and you should be excited to get started with it. But why listen to us?
|Free accommodation that often comes with a swimming pool - not bad right? (Gold Coast House Sit).|
We've House Sat villas with swimming pools, homes on deserted beaches, apartments right in the centre of some of the world's most famous cities and, our all time favourite, a vineyard in Italy:
|The vineyard in Italy|
|Lesson one: learn how to make a dog smile ;) - (Portugal House Sit)|
|Fancy your own private beach in Western Australia?|
|Bonus of House Sitting: looking after dogs that smell flowers|
- Why we signed up with them
- Why we are very pleased we did (and why we renewed our membership two years in a row).
- It's the biggest House Sitting website out there, and bigger means better in the form of more House Sitting opportunities than anywhere else.
- It tells you once a House Sitter has been found, so you don't waste time applying to ones that are already sorted (not true for some other House Sitting websites).
- There's great choice in the length of the sit - just for the weekend or for a whole year, no matter how long you want to do it there's always one out there
- Similarly for choice of countries. On Trusted Housesitters the countries that pop up the most are the UK, Australia, New Zealand, the USA, Canada and Spain. But most other countries pop up too.
- They send you an email every time there is a new sit, so you can get straight in there and apply.
- It's for everyone: retired people, families and young people too! And everyone in between
|Like this hound - how could you resist?|
- All of our Australian House Sits came through them - they enabled us to travel all over Australia (Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, Western Australia, New South Wales and Canberra):
- In other words, that was nine months of free accommodation in Australia.
- Next, all of our European House Sits came through them - the Netherlands, Spain, Finland, the UK, Portugal, Germany and Italy:
In other words, another 15 months worth of free accommodation.
- We now have the next six months of accommodation sorted, again through this site.
|Side effect to House Sitting: happiness|
There is also the option of just paying for three months to start off with (£14.99 per month, £44.97 in total), but we can't give you a discount for that yet, sorry!
But enough side stepping, let's get back to the steps:
BUT the good news is, once we did a few special things we got our first sit, and then after that it was easier and easier to get picked for House Sits.
After a year of House Sitting and 8 good references we were in the position of getting pretty much every sit we applied to.
Now, after two years of House Sitting we are getting numerous emails from Home Owners asking us to House Sit, and we're booked up for the next six months.
|House Sitting does of course involve some sitting down|
SO, to make things easier for everyone we've written a sweet little ebook which reveals all our tips and tricks and guarantees you get your first House Sit.
It's entitled 'House Sitting in Australia - A Guide For First Time House Sitters', but the tips and tricks can be applied to any country you're looking to House Sit in first -i.e. it's not just for Australian House Sits :) you can read more about the ebook here.
|Simba and Genie - best names ever?|
- What the application process is like
- How newbie House Sitters can get references - and why it's essential that they do
- How and why to get a police check
- How to write the perfect application letter - everything that must and must not be included
- Why you should Skype with Home Owners before agreeing to do a sit - and what to talk about
- How you can work whilst House Sitting (and why you don't necessarily have to)
- How to groom a dog
- What to do if a dog gets sick and/or misses its owner.
|Note: horses look funny when they eat apples|
How to have a perfect first House Sit
For this, we recommend practise. Practise on your parent's house, or your friends' house or your neighbours'. Any house you can get your hands on really.
Essentially though House Sitting isn't really hard, but we find it helps to follow this rule (that we made up):
|Disadvantage of House Sitting: dogs that are better looking than you|
|Living here rent free? Amazing|
1. Sign up to Trusted House Sitters
2. If you'd like a 10% discount for their annual plan, subscribe here.
3. For insider tips on how to successfully get your first House Sits, read this ebook.
4. Be a tenant/guest hybrid
And hopefully you'll be House Sitting places like this soon:
|House Sitting in Spain|
So what do you think? Would you like to be a House Sitter?
We're Laura and Tanbay, a British/German couple who have successfully weaselled our way out of the rat-race and want you to do the same! We also want to make it clear that we sometimes use “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we use personally and believe will add value to our readers.