To put it simply, think of it as baby sitting, but houses instead of babies.
Why would someone want a House Sitter?
- The fuses blow and the owner will return to a defrosted freezer and a puddle of water.
- Plants need watering and grass needs cutting
- Houses start to grow mould or mildew
- Letterboxes overflow
- They don't want to burden friends/relatives
- Friends/relatives are coming on holiday too
- Friends/relatives aren't responsible enough (we're looking at you, raving Grandma).
- Friends/relatives don't live close enough (namely true for expats).
- Pets may be too much for friends/relatives (applies particularly to naughty and/or exotic pets).
Whatever the reason, the main one is almost always this:
|Fancy views like this instead of bills and rent?|
|We took 'anywhere in the world' seriously, and headed out to Australia for nine months|
|We looked after an orange grove in Portugal, it watered itself (on a timer) and all we had to do was enjoy the fruit :)|
Whatever your 'duties' you do a lot less work than you would be workaway/wwoofing and your rewards are a lot higher.
We've also looked after guinea pigs, turtles, ducks and rabbits. Lots of fun!
We're Laura and Tanbay, a British/German couple who have successfully weaselled our way out of the rat-race and want you to do the same! We also want to make it clear that we sometimes use “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we use personally and believe will add value to our readers.